The Arkansas Jazz Orchestra is a favorite at jazz festivals, concerts and events throughout the area. The big band's only requirements are sixteen chairs, two electrical outlets, and an audience ready for a good time.
The AJO consists of artists from all walks of life who have made music the driving element in their life. Sections include musicians who are at the top of their field.
- Earl Hesse has been a sideman on saxophone in orchestras named for Nelson Riddle, Jan Garber, Les Elgart, Russ Morgan and Benny Goodman. His first gig out of college was sitting beside Jimmy Dorsey in Tommy Dorsey's band. Earl is in the prestigious Arkansas Jazz Hall of Fame.
- Vocalist Shirley Chauvin was the first to perform with the University of North Texas 1 O'Clock Lab Band and is one of the few true jazz divas in our area of the country.
- Saxophonist Gary Meggs has played with and still performs as a sub with the Glenn Miller Orchestra. He leads one of the premier university jazz bands in the state.
- Mike Copeland plays the lead trumpet book with the AJO. He is a much called musician who adds excitement whenever it's needed.
- Bill Halbrook is one of the most called drummers in the state with the ability to play in almost any musical style.
Come to one of our performances and get to know these and the other musicians first hand. We enjoy meeting and talking with music lovers almost as much as we enjoy performing.